Saturday, August 13, 2005

Finding myself

Watched "The Last Samurai" and found myself being moved by the display of emotions.

I realised I had changed.

Really used to be clinical, efficient - maybe its a way to protect my self, to reduce my vulnerability. Maybe I had to deny my emotions to survive in the business studies and media world. But now, I am emphatising, identifying and in my head, its the emotions that run through as I looked at each character. Maybe its because I'm delving more and more into film etc... and its really impacting lifes by moving emotions.

Wow. Thank you, God. I'm glad to have grown. Balance between pragmatism and being 'arty-farty'. Now I really think that arts and the music are really important. Have been programmed all my life to think that science and business reigns. Science and business are kings. They will help you earn a lot of money and get ahead in life. Arts, music etc are looked down upon as secondary, non-profit luxuries and NON-ESSENTIAL.

How wrong. A soul will wither and die without the nourishment of the arts. Music, dance, art, history, literature shows us who we are. It soothes and speaks to us beyond pragmatism. It makes us humane. It points to the fact that humans are NOT robots and machines. I have concluded that arts and music are totally ESSENTIAL. They are tenets and are also integral to our being. How poor someone is if the person only lives to make money or to gain more possessions!

Am glad to journey through this and found this balance. How sad I have looked down on my gifts and talents and my desires to enjoy the arts and music. How often I have wondered that my art will not make any impact. And that arts and music are just luxuries, excessiveness, unimportant, non-feasible and non-essential. How wrong have I been! Arts and music are such an important part of my life and it exists to reflect the beauty and glory of the Creator whom all creative energy flow. That arts and music speak to the soul and has the power to stir, soothe, touch, inspire and energize. That arts and music are expressions of self reflections, individuality and diversity. There is so much power in arts and music.

Am glad I'm embracing me. No more suppression, no more suspicion or guilt but freedom to soak, express and soar. I'm glad I took the step out.

2 comments:

eeleen said...

AMEN to "Arts and music.. exist to reflect the beauty and glory of the Creator whom all creative energy flow."

:)

the Last Samurai was a stirring movie for me. one of my all time favourites. brought all the high end adventure and heroism that's in our DNA. Warrior Princess. love it.

Shermeen Ng said...

Amen, sister!! A-m-e-n. (: