Thursday, March 09, 2006

Language of Photography


Understood more things tonight.

One of those explosive nights... when you come alive... discussing ideas... throwing arguments to and fro... hearing varied perspectives... from the arty, to the layman, to the literal from the different attitudes and demographics... boy! Do I miss school! I just love this free flow of ideas, thoughts and discourse... makes me feel alive! Reminds me of literature classes... and GP classes... just that it's more fun now... with the topics closer to my heart...

I understand more... the differences between photos taken by the respective genders due to our make up and social and historical context. Today I see new things. That men tend to take vast, spatial pix... because they were made for adventure above all. That women drew out emotions of longing and love and the intimacy of/with the subjects because of our innate desire to be loved, pursued and our nature to nurture. That's more in general. There are times when the hunger for adventure is revealed through a woman's lenses. Or a moment of softness via a man's. But how our general make up shows through...even our lenses...

Also the privileges of being a woman photographer now... more access and trust given...

I like what the speaker brought up about mirrorring... how Julia Margaret Cameron's pix often used mirrors (for practical needs like lighting) but also the deeper meaning of that. That within the camera were mirrors. Literally and nonliterally... the mirrors... seek to mirror... either the real self or the projected self. And taking your own pix... a reversal self portrait. And taking pix in a certain style... reflects who you are...

Lots of food for thought... glad to discover new gems and be affirmed that the female voice is beautiful and worth listening to.

No comments: