Monday, February 27, 2006

My piano teacher

Out of spring cleaning... I came across my Grade 8 piano piece... Debussy's "Reverie"... on it are scribbled notes.

I hope to see my piano teacher once again. To truly thank her.

Ha...naturally piano lessons were blah... coz a lot of it was rote and maybe I was just plain lazy. But looking back... WOW. My piano teacher was EXTRA-ORDINAIRE!

She was really radical and I thank my mom for listening to her. She forbade me to do exams when she felt I was not ready. Twice I think.

She taught me how NOT to just pass exams and play the same 3 pieces the whole year. She taught me how to appreciate music for its worth. She'll teach me history - Baroque. Classical. Romantic. She'll show me the different parts of the orchestra - beckoning me to listen to them individually. She'll bring me to dance concerts... to show me how music and movement goes together. She taught me how to play with a picture. She showed me dialogue within the music piece. She taught me analogies within the score. She taught me how to tell a story through my music.

And that are the fundamentals... of video editing too. Forms. Transitions. Crescendo. Build up. Release of tension. Flow. Balance.

I feel grateful. Really thankful.

No comments: