Monday, January 07, 2008

open heart. open wounds. open hand. open soul.


"Living in true beauty can require much waiting, much time, much tenacity of spirit. We must constantly direct our gazes toward the face of God, even in the presence of longing and sorrow. It is in the waiting that our hearts are enlarged. The waiting does not diminish us. As a pregnant women is enlarged in her waiting, so are our hearts. God does not always rescue us out of a painful season. You know that he does not always give to us what we so desperately want when we want it. He is after something much more valuable than our happiness. Much more substantive than our health, He is restoring and growing in us an eternal weight of glory. And some times... it hurts... a heart awakened to its sorrow. It is more aware, more present, and more alive, to all of the facets of life."

- Captivating, John and Stasi Elderedge

This long season of waiting, tearing, kneeling is really tough. It feels like when I'm 3/4 to reaching my running goal or cycling goal... the time when I feel like giving up yet I want to press on to reach the goal. And these are the times of growth and muscle stretching. I know its good for me but oh so painful. The tearing apart. The weaning off things that used to be my security. Strengthening my grip and trust.

Reading these few lines just brought so much comfort... that the waiting is redemptive, not relentless. He will never let me down and be the shelter I have always wanted... and the Love beyond the gates into the depths of my soul.

No comments: